Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Favorite Albums: 134 - 133

My computer is running slower than molasses today, so I am a little annoyed, so sorry in advance for being pissy if it happens.

134. Until the End Of the World Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Various Artists (1991)

Easily my favorite soundtrack to any movie. The movie itself... I thought I remembered it being a lot better than it was. Rented it from the library a few weeks ago, and yeah... It's decent, but nothing special. It's too cluttered and telling too many stories, and the music ends up taking focus away from the storytelling. The music in this movie is absolutely outstanding. Just look at the list of artists involved: U2, Depeche Mode, R.E.M., Talking Heads, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, Daniel Lanois, k.d. lang... Plus a few lesser known (or less noteworthy) artists, like Neneh Cherry, Julee Cruise, Can, Jane Siberry, Crime and the City Solution, and T-Bone Burnett. "Days" by Elvis Costello is a cover of an old Kinks song. "Sax and Violins" by Talking Heads was one of the last few songs the band recorded together. "Fretless" by R.E.M. is one of my favorite songs ever, if you remember from the favorite songs list, as is "Calling All Angels" by Jane Siberry and k.d. lang. "Until the End Of the World" by U2 and "What's Good" by Lou Reed are both pretty solid songs, but what else would you expect from either of them? For me though, the two biggest highlights (other than "Calling All Angels" and "Fretless" that is) are "The Adversary" by Crime and the City Solution and "(I'll Love You) Till the End Of the World" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Both of these songs are absolutely amazing, both in and out of the context of the movie. The only song that is missing from the movie is "Blood Of Eden" by Peter Gabriel. It's a more unpolished version than the one that would later end up on his album Us but it is just as beautiful. Really wish it would have been on here.
5 Best Songs:
(I am excluding "Fretless" and "Calling All Angels" since they are in the favorite songs list already.)
5. "What's Good" by Lou Reed
4. "Days" by Elvis Costello
3. "Until the End Of the World" by U2
2. "The Adversary" by Crime and the City Solution
1. "(I'll Love You) Till the End Of the World" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

And naturally I can't find any videos whatsoever of the top 2 songs, so I'm only putting the U2 one, I guess. If you want to hear the other 2 (well worth it) let me know and I'll burn them and e-mail them or something.

"Until the End Of the World"


133. Best Of Bowie by David Bowie (2002)

So, according to one of the websites I use to help reference stuff on this list, there were 16 different versions of this album released for different countries around the world. I didn't look at them to see how different they are from each other, but really, what's the point? Are there really that many ways to make a greatest hits album? No. But there are apparently that many ways to make a buck.
Anyway.
As far as the album goes, well, it's Bowie, what else needs to be said? "Space Oddity" is the opener, serving two purposes: Get one of the best known songs by him out there up front, and get the longest song on the album out of the way right off the bat. Of the 4 songs on the album that are duets, only the horrible "Dancing In the Streets" with Mick Jagger is a miss. "Fame" with John Lennon, "Under Pressure" with Queen, and "I'm Afraid Of Americans" with Trent Reznor are all pretty bad ass. And in the end, "Dancing In the Streets" is the only weak song on the album.
5 Best Songs:
5. "Let's Dance"
4. "Rebel Rebel"
3. "Fame"
2. "Modern Love"
1. "Under Pressure"

"Fame"


"Modern Love"


"Under Pressure"

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking for the "like" button. I think I'm on Facebook too much.

    ReplyDelete