Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Favorite Albums: 120 - 119

120. Hysteria by Def Leppard (1987)

Laugh all you want, but this album is seriously a classic and doesn't get the respect it deserves. There are 12 songs on this album; seven of them were charting singles. If that doesn't scream consistency, I don't know what does. Yes, it may have caused a resurgency in late '80s hair metal. Yes, some of the songs may sound extremely silly and outdated now. But that's okay, because at one point or another almost everybody I've ever known has owned this album. And most of them will even admit it. So, to the album... "Armageddon It," and "Hysteria," and "Rocket," and "Animal," and "Women," and "Love Bites," and "Pour Some Sugar On Me." Do I really need to say any more?
5 Best Songs:
5. "Animal"
4. "Rocket"
3. "Love Bites"
2. "Hysteria"
1. "Pour Some Sugar On Me"

"Love Bites"


"Hysteria"


"Pour Some Sugar On Me"


119. No Line On the Horizon by U2 (2009)

For me, this is U2's best album since Pop. All That You Can't Leave Behind was considered their "third masterpiece," but it really wasn't that great after a few listens. I think calling it that was more a response to the band getting away from the electronica influences on Pop and Zooropa more than anything. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was surprisingly inconsistent, and seems to get worse with each play. No Line On the Horizon, however, just works. Every time I listen to this album I remember why I started liking U2 in the first place. The opening track, "No Line On the Horizon," is one of my favorite album openers ever. Love the driving guitars and unrelenting beat. "Magnificent" is decent, but I don't think it's as great as some music sites would have people believe. The next two songs, however, are spectacular. "Moment Of Surrender" and "Unknown Caller" have already become two of my favorite U2 songs ever, and I can't even really explain why. From the first time I listened to this album I've loved them both. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" may be a silly title, but it's a pretty good song. "Stand Up Comedy" and "Breathe" are both pretty excellent as well.
5 Best Songs:
5. "Breathe"
4. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
3. "No Line On the Horizon"
2. "Moment Of Surrender"
1. "Unknown Caller"

"No Line On the Horizon"


"Moment Of Surrender"


"Unknown Caller"

No comments:

Post a Comment