Friday, February 26, 2010

Favorite Albums: 138 - 137

138. Hot Rocks, 1964 - 1971 by The Rolling Stones (1972)

Some people might make the argument that Forty Licks is a better compilation than Hot Rocks, and maybe they have a point. But I like this one better just because there isn't any filler. From start to finish it's just a bad ass compilation. And if "She's a Rainbow" had been included on here, it would have been absolutely perfect, just because that's my favorite Stones song. On every Greatest Hits album I've listed so far, there are always songs that I skip or whatever, and this one's no different. The thing with this one, though, is it's only one song that I don't like, "Midnight Rambler." Just kind of drags on and on, I think. But other than that, there are zero misses on this album. Just very very solid from "Time Is On My Side" at the beginning to "Wild Horses" at the end. Don't really know what else to say. I am already regretting all these Greatest Hits albums and singles collections and stuff, and there are a shit load of them coming up. Yeah. Didn't plan that one out too well, I guess.
5 Best Songs:
5. "Paint It Black"
4. "Gimme Shelter"
3. "19th Nervous Breakdown"
2. "Mother's Little Helper"
1. "Ruby Tuesday"

"19th Nervous Breakdown"


"Mother's Little Helper"


"Ruby Tuesday"


137. The Commitments Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by The Commitments (1991)

If you've never seen this movie, go out and rent it right now. I'll wait...
Ok then. This was a movie about a guy who gets a group of musicians together in Dublin to start playing soul music. Because when you think "Mustang Sally" or "Chain Of Fools" or "In the Midnight Hour" what comes to mind? That's right, pasty white Irish kids. In the end though, it works, because the musicians are good and lead singer Andrew Strong's voice is absolutely amazing. And he was only 19 when the movie was made. The band in the movie is also the band on the album, by the way. No lip syncing or overdubbing here. Maria Doyle shines on the two songs where she takes the lead vocals, "Bye Bye Baby" and especially "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)," and she performs the main backing vocals on most of the other songs, as well as the duet with Strong, "The Dark End Of the Street." I used to listen to this album a lot back in the day, but not as much any more. Not really sure why. Definitely love the movie though. In fact, I think I'm going to go watch it right now.
5 Best Songs:
5. "Mustang Sally"
4. "Take Me To the River"
3. "The Dark End Of the Street"
2. "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)"
1. "Try a Little Tenderness"

All the videos are taken straight from the movie, so you'll have parts of scenes and some incomplete songs, but they'll give you an idea, anyway, of how good the songs are.
"The Dark End Of the Street"


"I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)"


"Try a Little Tenderness" (Sound is kind of low on this one, but it was the best I could find.)

No comments:

Post a Comment