Monday, May 31, 2010

Favorite Albums: 66 - 65

66. God Shuffled His Feet by Crash Test Dummies (1993)

So, usually one of the sites I use for reference gets into a ton of detail about pretty much every album. The entire review from this album reads:

Thanks to Jerry Harrison's remarkably clear and focused production, Crash Test Dummies' second album became a surprise hit. Apart from the relatively concise pop smarts of the singles "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" and "Afternoons and Coffeespoons," God Shuffled His Feet isn't all that different from the band's first album.

That's it? Really? How is it not different from The Ghosts That Haunt Me? What a lazy ass reviewer. How about mentioning that many people hadn't even heard the first album, but because of the success of this one, the first one got pretty popular, too, and "Superman's Song" became a hit over two years after it was originally released? Grrr. Lazy.
So. Anyway. This album kicks off with the title track, a pretty amusing song about the conversations at a picnic between God and some of the first people he made. Best line? "If your eye got poked out in this life, would it be waiting up in heaven with your wife?" Ha. "Afternoons and Coffeespoons" is next, a pretty decent song that became a minor hit after "MMM, MMM, MMM, MMM" but before "Superman's Song". "MMM, MMM, MMM, MMM" is next, easily the most popular Crash Test Dummies single ever. I'm sure you've heard it. "In the Days Of the Caveman" is next, a pretty dull song, really, basically about what separates humans from animals, with a bunch of camping analogies. Blah. "Swimming In Your Ocean" is pretty funny, all sorts of sexual innuendo. Good tune. "Here I Stand Before Me" Is decent, nothing great. It's basically about the human body and how it works, and... Yeah, I'm bored too. "I Think I'll Disappear now" is great, to me. It's not really the best song on the album, but it's one of my favorites, for some reason. Hard to explain. "How Does a Duck Know?" is awesome. Absolutely love this song. "When I Go Out With Artists" is pretty crappy, on the other hand. Worst song on the album. "The Psychic" is a very pretty song, great harmonies and a nice simple melody. Good tune. "Two Knights and Maidens" is another pretty song, telling the story of two knights (shocking!) who want to get it on with some maidens (shocking!) but the maidens, well, have other plans, which include drugs and tigers. Nifty stuff. The final song is an untitled minute and a half instrumental that is extremely pretty and would have been great as a full song, especially keeping it an instrumental. Good stuff. I know I'll get made fun of for liking this album, and honestly I don't care. I dig it. It's pretty good, with only two songs that I don't care for. Worth a listen, yes?
5 Best Songs:
5. "God Shuffled His Feet"


4. "MMM, MMM, MMM, MMM" (This one's kind of loud)


3. "Swimming In Your Ocean"


2. "I Think I'll Disappear Now"


1. "How Does a Duck Know?"


65. International Superhits! by Green Day (2001)

I have seriously tired of the greatest hits and singles collections, so this is going to be pretty quick. (There are only a couple more left, including each of the next two albums, but after that I think there's only one more. Sure hope so, anyway. Okay, I was wrong, just went through and counted, and there are 8 more, ten if you count the next two. Sheesh. What was I thinking?) So, this one contains everything pre-American Idiot. There really aren't any weak songs out of the 21 here, but there are some definite strong points. "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" is obviously a great song, as are "Longview", "She", and "When I Come Around". "Minority" is one of the better Green Day singles, a somewhat underrated song. The other main highlights include "Geek Stink Breath", "Nice Guys Finish Last", "Warning", and "Redundant", as well as the rockabilly tinged "Hitchin' a Ride". For me, though, the best part of the album is the one-two punch of "Brain Stew" and "Jaded". Love the slow methodical "Brain Stew" followed by the absolute chaos of "Jaded. Great stuff. I know I am being super weak on this album, and it deserves more attention than I am giving it, but I've just had an absolute shit day, and kind of just want to get it over with. Step one? finishing this so I can go read and go to bed. Anyway, there are quite a few songs on this album that I didn't even mention, but I can confidently say it is well worth checking out. Good album.
5 Best Songs:
5. "Warning"


4. "Hitchin' a Ride"


3. "Minority"


2. "She"


1. "Brain Stew/Jaded" (I know, they are two songs, but they go together pretty well and are usually even played together on the radio.)

No comments:

Post a Comment