Monday, April 19, 2010

Favorite Albums: 94 - 93

I am still 2 albums behind where I want to be, so depending on how quickly these two go, I may post the next two later. If not, most likely tomorrow.
I'm also changing the way the top 5 songs and their videos are posted, a little bit. Nothing major, just eliminating some of the repetitive stuff.

94. Greatest Hits by The Cars (1985)

This album has some of the most popular music of the '80s on it, like it or not. The Cars were pretty much everywhere in the first half of the decade, and these are most of the reasons why. I could go through song by song like I usually do, but this would be one of those albums where I'm calling every song "kick ass" or a "classic" or "awesome" so I won't bore you with that redundancy. You have all the popular MTV songs, "Just What I Needed", "Shake It Up", "Magic" and, of course, "You Might Think". There are the wonderful ballads, "Drive" and "I'm Not the One". There are the radio staples of "Since You're Gone", "Touch and Go", "Tonight She Comes" (the only new song on the album), "Let's Go" and "My Best Friend's Girl". Plus the very underrated "Heartbeat City". The only two songs I can think of that are missing from this album are "Hello Again" and "You're All I've Got Tonight". Had they been included, this would have been the definitive Cars collection, but instead it is just a tad incomplete. Very good album, though, and probably owned by most of the people reading this.
5 Best Songs:
5. "You Might Think"


4. "Heartbeat City"


3."Tonight She Comes"


2. "Drive"


1. "I'm Not the One"


93. Fear by Toad the Wet Sprocket (1991)

This is going to be one of those albums where it's going to be extremely difficult to only pick five songs from. Two songs I know won't be in the top 5? "All I Want" and "Walk On the Ocean". They were the two big hits from this album (along with "In My Ear" which was a close third) but they were both so over played that I can't stand either of them anymore. "In My Ear" I still like, though. Good tune. There really aren't any weak songs on this album, it is just very strong from start to finish. "Walk On the Ocean" starts it, and it's a shame this song got so played out because I really did like it at first. Nice simple music telling a nice simple story. "Is It For Me" is basically about a group of kids trying to peek into the windows of a supposed haunted house, then one of them breaks his leg and the rest get in trouble, more or less. "Butterflies" is a nice nifty song. It's kind of hard to describe, though. At just over two minutes "Nightingale Song" is by far the shortest song on the album, a simple little acoustic number. "Hold Her Down" is about a group of guys raping a woman, supposedly about someone the band knows. "Pray Your Gods" is basically a song questioning faith, and has one of my favorite lines from any song: "I feel my body weakened by the years/ As people turn to Gods of cruel design./ Is it that they fear the pain of death?/ Or could it be they fear the joy of life?" The last half of the song is a couple women singing what sounds like Gaelic, but not sure. Just a fantastic song. "Before You Were Born" is another bad ass song, with more stellar lyrics. "Something To Say" is really the only song that seems to drag, but it is still a pretty good song despite that. "In My Ear" brings the pace back up from the three preceding slower songs, a nice change of pace. "All I Want" is next, and like "Walk On the Ocean" I used to like this song until it got played hourly on every damned station in town. "Stories I Tell" is a pretty haunted sounding song. I think they were going for haunting, but didn't quite make it. "I Will Not Take These Things For Granted" closes the album, and although it could have come out very cheesy and insincere sounding, it is actually one of the strongest tracks on the album. Overall, this is just a great album. Even with the two songs that shall not be named, it is a very enjoyable album, and even those two songs are becoming more bearable again, after almost 20 years.
5 Best Songs:
5. "Is It For Me"


4. "Before You Were Born"


3. "Hold Her Down"


2. "I Will Not Take These Things For Granted"


1. "Pray Your Gods"

No comments:

Post a Comment